Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Mail threading issues [Was: Starting a …

Top Page
Author: Chris Smith
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Mail threading issues [Was: Starting a test thread for Chris Smith]

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x583ca100.hantslug.org.uk.11210': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Aug 1 21:13:13 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 11BEF6408586B4B2
Steve Kemp wrote:

> And more to the point why are we doing this?
>
> Testing procmail, or similar?

For the past couple of months mail threading has been totally broken for
me -- all replies in a thread are nested at the same level beneath the
original message. This is not unique to Hants, but occurs for all list
(and non-list) traffic to which I subscribe.

My email system works as follows:
- inbound mail is addressed to cjs94@???. This is not an email
account as such, but a forwarding address (hosted by the University of
Southampton).
- cjs94@??? redirects all mail to my real account: scuff@???.
- mail for scuff.name is handled by my mail server (Exim4, Debian Etch).
- mail is collected from my mail server over IMAP (Dovecot).

Having established that the mail client was not at fault, I subscribed
to HantsLUG from a dummy control account (non scuff.name, non
zepler.net) and asked you to start nattering, hoping that by comparing
the emails on both accounts I could pin-point the problem. I succeeded.

It turns out that zepler.net munges the Message-ID field of all incoming
messages, before redirecting them. For example, Victor's original email
had:

But after hitting zepler.net, this had been transformed into:

Needless to say, this totally borks mail threading, as the References:
and In-Reply-To: headers for all subsequent replies now point to a
non-existent Message-ID. Grrr.

A quick google of 'Message-ID EMEW' shows that zepler.net appears to use
Barricade MX (smtpf/2.1) by SnertSoft. EMEW is in fact 'Enhanced
Message-ID as Email Watermark', a 'feature' which helps protect against
spam. As well as viciously snapping threads.

So, my thanks once again to all those who helped track this down,
however indirectly. I will take up the problem with zepler.net
(although I doubt it will get anywhere, as they are typically unresponsive).

Cheers,
Chris
--
Chris Smith <cjs94@???>