[Hampshire] CD Ripping

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List, Dorset Linux User Group
CC:
Subject: [Hampshire] CD Ripping

OK I use Kaudiocreator for ripping CD's, they rip to mp3 with medium settings.
My PC is a P4 2.8ghz and 1gb mem, with files being saved to a ext. USB HD on
my linux machine. When it runs it max's out at 100% cpu and takes ages,
memory useage reports plenty of memory available.

Now if I rip the CD using window media player v11 on Vista, it will rips two
CD (saving them to the same ext hd as the my linux box uses) before the
kaudiocreator is half way through one cd. The Vista PC spec is twin core
3.0ghz with 2gb, the pc is pulling between 5 & 25% on both cores.

Now I can accept that the spec of the Vista PC is greater but my mepis box is
a slug when it comes to ripping CD's, why??

What does everybody else use to rip cd's??

Tim

GET FREE SMILEYS FOR YOUR IM & EMAIL - Learn more at http://www.inbox.com/smileys
Works with AIM®, MSN® Messenger, Yahoo!® Messenger, ICQ®, Google Talk™ and most webmails