Re: [Hampshire] gallery2.

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] gallery2.
On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 21:30:56 -0500
Mike Burrows <testermike@???> wrote:

> Hello Folks.
>
> Can anybody recommend a picture hosting app like the above that I
> would find reasonably easy to use.
>
> I have been fussing with Gallery 2 all day and still can't get it to
> even appear in a browser window, which is I assume, how it works.
> The docs on their website are not very helpful.

Hi Mike

There are several steps you need to get sorted before installing
Gallery2

1. you need a working webserver, possibly apache

2. you need a working database, possibly mysql, so you can create a
gallery2 database

3. you need php installed

4. gallery 2 needs various other package like imagemagick which
installing gallery2 with aptitude under Debian are installed
'automagically'.

You then need to run the Gallery "installer" by pointing at it with
your browser. Only when you have worked through this will you be able
to start uploading images and using gallery via the browser.

I actually found the Gallery2 website very helpful when I set mine up
as here:
http://startx.co.uk/gallery2/main.php

There are several people on the list with more knowledge of gallery 2
than me but they will need to know exactly what you have installed as
listed above.

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop