Re: [Hampshire] what is BBC iplayer video playback - flash?

Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] what is BBC iplayer video playback - flash?
alan c wrote:
> What is the inside story of bbc iplayer playback?
>
> Is it flash?

There are actually several products branded as iPlayer. That includes
the online streaming service which uses Flash as is accessible on Linux
if you have the proprietary Flash plugin.

> What is known about its playback processes? I can record broadcast tv
> with conventional recorders, and capture streaming flash from google
> or utube fairly easily, but bbc iplayer stuff does not seem to be
> shown in (firefox) cache nor does it seem to be available to capture.
> It would sometimes be convenient to capture it.

Indeed it would, however the BBC don't want you to be able to do that.
Files using the download service are DRM encumbered and the Flash player
is not designed to let you save the stream.

> A belt and braces
> method I know works is to use something like recordmydesktop, but it
> is not very elegant as a method.

There are scripts available which allow you to download programmes in
Quicktime format, by pretending to be the Apple iPhone. These are
constantly being updated as the BBC introduce new hacks to stop the
scripts working.

If you are interested this debate, the Open Rights Group have done a lot
of work in the area and are worth supporting IMHO.

Tony