Re: [Hampshire] Net-SSH-Perl vs Net::SSH, Expect.pm and Tcl.…

Author: Victor Churchill
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Net-SSH-Perl vs Net::SSH, Expect.pm and Tcl.pm
2008/8/25 Damian Brasher <lug@???>:

> Another factor is to check whether these packages are installed as default
> on the average Linux system then to make the decision to either statically
> or dynamically link to them. I have experience of CPAN but want to make my
> installation as self contained as possible.

Sounds as if you are wanting to create a distributable piece of code
that does not depend on Perl (or some of the modules) being installed
on the target platform?
If so, perl2exe [1] may be of help:

Perl2Exe

Perl2Exe is a command line program for converting Perl scripts to
executable files.

This allows you to create stand alone programs in Perl that do not
require the Perl interpreter. You can ship the executable files
without having to ship your Perl source code.

Perl2Exe can generate executables for Windows and Unix target hosts.

Disclaimer: I have not used perl2exe myself. There is also something
called perlcc which seems to be part of the standard Perl distro [man
perlcc] . It may do something similar but the docs say it is
experimental and not for production use.

[1] http://www.indigostar.com/perl2exe.htm