Re: [Hampshire] Installing extra programs on a fresh install…

Author: Lisi
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Installing extra programs on a fresh install of Kubuntu
On Wednesday 27 August 2008 14:06:41 Andy Smith wrote:
> Hi Lisi,
>
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 10:19:47AM +0100, Lisi wrote:
> > chihiro@Bedales:~$ sudo -i
>
> Naughty! :)

Yes :-( - but see below.

> > root@Bedales:~# aptitude search opera
> > root@Bedales:~# aptitude search firefox
> > root@Bedales:~# aptitude search iceweasel
> > root@Bedales:~#
>
> Have you done an "aptitude update" first?

No - this was my only incursion into nursery, suck-a-thumb, security. I was
trying to use exclusively Adept, since that is what my granddaughter will
probably do and it is her computer. I normally update a new system before I
do anything else, but I was having trouble with Adept. Which is where we
came in. :-(

But your diagnosis was right and the solution was simple once I found it. I
should have been using Adept Manager, not Adept. So why does the big menu
entry for "Add and Remove programs" lead to Adept???

Thanks for taking the time to help. :-)
Lisi