Re: [Hampshire] OT - PCMCIA USB adapters

Author: Chris. Aubrey-Smith
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OT - PCMCIA USB adapters
Has anyone any experience with PCMCIA USB adapters. I need to get one

> since my laptop has only one USB port (and it's 1.1), but my query is
> really two fold.

I have the same situation. I'm using an ADS Tech USB Turbo 2.0 which 'just
works' in both Debian Etch and Ubuntu Hardy machines.

> ... will I need to be careful with the
> chipset/model I buy?

I have no experience of any others.

> Will any adapter be able to power my bus powered external USB drive? The
> drive came with a split usb cable (and the laptop's only port powers it
> OK), so in theory I could plug in the data cable to the adapter, and the
> power cable in to the laptop?

Don't know, but the above adapter has a 5v 'power-in' socket between the two
ports.

HTH,
Chris