Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu 8.04

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ubuntu 8.04

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan Pope" <alan@???>
To: "Hampshire LUG Discussion List" <hampshire@???>
Sent: Saturday, August 30, 2008 1:52 PM

> On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 01:09:17PM +0100, Rob Malpass wrote:
>> I don't think so - it was a clean install - not sure I got the option.
>> But
>> if I just uninstall kubuntu-desktop - that should do the trick I'd guess?
>>

> If it's a clean Ubuntu install then there will be zero kde apps on it. If
> there are any then you installed them, post install.
>
> Removing kubuntu-desktop wont do it, no.
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

It was actually easier than I thought. I dunno if this is Ubuntu 101 for
you guys but I discovered a neat trick in synaptic... You can sort on the
first column to effectively bring up a list of all installed programs, then
I just scrolled down to those beginning kde and selected them all and
uninstalled. Hey presto - workable menus again! Well I thought it's a
nice feature of synaptic being able to sort on that column anyway ;-]

I think I know how all this kde stuff got installed - I basically agreed it
when it said "software update" - it asked to install 340 packages and I
didn't check.

All's well that ends well.

Cheers
Rob