[Hampshire] Ubuntu sound woes

Author: Owain Clarke
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Ubuntu sound woes
I jumped ship from Debian to Ubuntu because of continuing audio
problems, but then a while ago my sound stopped working, and I've not
really had the time or energy to sort it out - I've followed a few
guides and threads with no success. But now I'm having to listen to
heretical statements from my teenage son on the lines of "Win**** is
better than Linux". What I'd really like to know is, is there an easy
way to get back to a default sound installation, such as uninstalling
all alsa / pulseaudio etc applications, removing the configuration
files, and then reinstalling them. Alternatively, could I boot up a
live CD and copy configuration files from there? I'm on the point of
doing a complete reinstall, but I know this shouldn't be necessary. Any
help gratefully received...

Owain Clarke