Re: [Hampshire] Venues

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Venues

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008, Mike wrote:

> Talking to another LUG member yesterday the subject of meetings venues came
> up and as there are a number of HantsLUG members living in or around
> Basingstoke I wondered if there would be any interest in holding any monthly
> meetings in Basingstoke.

Meetings in Basingstoke have been reasonably popular in the past (and
certainly suit me very well:) though I'd say it is unlikely they would be
monthly as we have previous tried to vary the locations of meetings
between North and South Hampshire to make it easier for people from all
over the county to attend.

> I am a governor at a local secondary school close to the M3,train
> station and bus routes. There is also good pub nearby and we have a
> reasonable IT infrastructure, three of our IT classrooms and network
> having been refurbished in the last 9 months.

That all sounds quite promising.

> Cost is reasonable and space would not be an issue.

Your definition of reasonable and the LUGs might be different... The LUG
has no real income except the donations made at meetings so any costs
would have to be recoverable from such donations. However that is really a
matter for the committee, I'd suggest you send more details including the
actual location of the school and the costs of hire to
<committee@???>

> I would also be looking to get our IT department and some of our senior
> students involved if appropriate.

The general rule at meetings is the more the merrier (space permitting),
anyone who is interested in finding out more about Linux is usually
welcome.

Andy