Re: [Hampshire] extracting .exe file for NDISwrapper

Author: Lisi
To: Alan Pope, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] extracting .exe file for NDISwrapper
Wednesday 17 Sep 2008 17:35:11 に Alan Pope さんは書きました:
> On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 02:05:12PM +0100, Lisi wrote:
> > Problem: get a wireless card going properly in Kubuntu. The card is a
> > RaLink RT2500.

> alan@bishop:~$ apt-cache search cabextract
> cabextract - a program to extract Microsoft Cabinet files
>
> It's in the repo on my Ubuntu 8.04 system. (Kubuntu & Ubuntu have the same
> repo so it should be in yours).

Adept Manager said not. I am more than willing to accept that apt-get is
better. I normally resort to aptitude when stalled by Adept Manager - but
had thought that at least it could search the repositories. :-( Or perhaps
my granddaughter's sources list is different? I may not have enabled
everything I should have. Advice on this welcomed.

> > Currently trying to loop mount the .exe as per the Answer Gang's advice
> > here <http://linuxgazette.net/issue82/tag/1.html> (mutatis mutandis)
> >
> > I am failing because I do not know the file type of an .exe file and am
> > not succeeding in guessing it.
>
> "file foo.exe" would tell you usually.

Thanks - that is useful to know.

> > So - if that is a good method to be trying to use, what is the filetype
> > of an .exe file?
>
> A DOS or Windows executable.

Yes. I know. But I can't use "A DOS or Windows executable" as the file type
in a mount command.

But thanks for the reply.

Lisi