Re: [Hampshire] extracting .exe file for NDISwrapper

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] extracting .exe file for NDISwrapper
On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 08:40:19 +0100
"Peter Salisbury" <peterthevicar@???> wrote:

<snipped>
> cs: pcmia_socket0: cardbus cards are not supported.
>
> This sounds like your major problem. Maybe there is a module you
> need to insert to drive the cardbus bridge?
>
> Googling suggests it needs the yenta_socket module - do you have
> that loaded?

I wasn't loaded, I have now 'forced' it to be loaded at boot time
along with the rt2500 module

<snipped>

> > but when I do "ipup ra0" I end up with "SIOCSIFADDR: no such
> > device"
>
> That error means that it can't find the hardware, presumably due to
> the cardbus error. If it isn't listed in lspci then it's not going
> to work.

I am still getting the same error and the card is still not being
listed in by lspci, makes me wonder if there is a hardware fault,
either the card or the socket (it _is_ an old laptop)

> > I followed Peter's suggestion for an entry
> > in /etc/network/interfaces, except I opted to use dhcp and didn't
> > include " && iwconfig ra0 key restricted 1234567890" as I don't
> > understand what this does.
>
> That's the 10 hex digit WEP key. I found with my card that it needed
> the WEP key to access the AP even to get DHCP going. Seems daft to
> me so I stuck with a fixed address.

I'm not even sure the WAP is working, I set it up originally using
my wife's windows box to get an IP address from the ADSL router and
may have set it up to use WEP to avoid conflict with a neighbour's
WAP which I had picked up a transmission from when getting a Sony
Vaio working for my daughter.

I'll have to leave this problem for now as we are about to go to
Bristol for the day. My wife's is going to try to visit the new
shopping centre and I am going to the Bristol & Bath pub meet :-)

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop