Re: [Hampshire] New box for Virtualisation

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] New box for Virtualisation

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56ec0100.hantslug.org.uk.21918': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Oct 6 14:18:40 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 02:03:43PM +0100, Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
> > I recommend using kvm, as it's far easier to set up and administer
> > than Xen.
>
> I've not used kvm, but what is difficult about setting up and
> administering Xen?

Last time I tried using it, the documentation was bad, the build
and installation process was a nightmare, it was almost impossible to
build your own kernels for it, you were stuck on 2.6.18 kernels
because it's not been ported to anything later, and there was no clear
way to debug issues with the management daemon. Oh, and ACPI didn't
work, so the host machine had its CPU pegged to the top clock rate
with no power saving features available.

KVM/qemu has few if any of these drawbacks, in my experience. Its
major failing is in the lack of a simple management solution for
creating and manipulating VMs -- but there are a number of third-party
solutions for that.

Hugo.

                        --- argc, argv, argh! ---