Re: [Hampshire] Hello

Author: Daniel Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Hello
On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 10:35:55AM +0100, Becky Taylor wrote:
> > I am also curious about how long members have been 'into' linux
> > (or other computer technology).
> > FYI: BD March 1960

I started using Linux in about 1997 when my school (Portsmouth Grammar)
bought a server which a tech-savvy classmate installed Red Hat on. I
think it ran Squid and a mailserver, but we also had a CircleMUD. I was
lucky enough to be given some access I recall, and I quickly learned
enough to be able to compile TinTin++. Soon afterwards they bought a
Linux webserver which was primarily at my disposal.

> I have been into computers for about 2 years, and linux for 1 year.
> I remember it must be about a year, because I kept driving my poor ICT
> teacher mad by complaining all through the GCSEs why we should have
> linux installed on the system.... Unfortunately never likely to happen.

ISTR there are at least a couple of LUG members who have been active in
promoting Linux in the classroom.

To be honest using Linux on the desktop is not really any different to
using Windows, when you're just talking about ICT curriculum stuff. But
if you want to do more the case for Linux is stupidly clear cut. I can't
see why any teacher would want to prevent you having access to Linux.
Maybe you could push for just one WUBI dual-boot machine, or even a VM?

Not providing you with Linux access sounds unreasonably narrow-minded
from where I'm sitting, which admittedly is behind the desk of a LAMPy
web development studio. Linux is in widespread use in the commercial
world and any Windows-specific skills are useless for my employees.

Unless you count getting webpages to work on Microsoft's so-called "web
browsers" as a Windows-specific skill.

Dan