Re: [Hampshire] Hello

Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Hello
<48ECBADE.40509@???> <48ECC21E.7000802@???>

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 15:22:22 +0100, Paul Stimpson

<paul@???> wrote:

> Becky Taylor wrote:

>> We have this awful net-nanny called 'websense' - I don't know if anyone

>> else has come across it? Websense blocks bizarre words - 'sussex'

>> 'middlesex' and 'wife' for some examples.

>> Wife? It came up as 'adult material'. What?! Bizarre. Surely then

>> 'husband', 'auntie', 'uncle' and 'grandmother' should also have been

>> blocked?

> Seen that too... In one place the filter decided that "analyser" (a

> common word in my job) was a naughty word. If you have a machine at home

> that is always-on and you can take your own laptop into school I can

> give you all the details of the system I put together that fakes an SSL

> session into my home server then runs a VPN on it so I can join my home

> network and surf whatever I like. I can even access my printers and

> network hard drive at home and backup my files from inside a company

> network. :). All you need is PERL, OpenVPN and a couple of nice

> open-source scripts :) I haven't found a filter yet it couldn't bork :D

It might be worth pointing out that if you do these things without the

consent of your employer you could fall foul of their AUP and possibly the

Computer Misuse Act. If you want to be sure that you won't get into

disciplinary problems, clear your use of such software with your employer

first.

Tony