Re: [Hampshire] Hello

Author: Phillip Chandler
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Hello

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 14:27 +0100, john lewis wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 13:16:55 +0100
> Phillip Chandler <phillip.chandler@???> wrote:
>
> > "Hello Mr. Chairman" from sunny, but cold, Thatcham.
>
> putting my <genealogy hat> on;
>
> is your family local to Thatcham or were they recent incomers? There
> were several Chandler families resident in Thatcham in the 1901
> Census.

Heres an excuse for a history lesson.

My Grandparents, on my dads side, the Chandlers, lived up at "Upper
Bucklebury" along "The Ridge", about 1.5 miles from where I live now. My
grandad built their house there, and lived there from 1940(ish) untill
either the very late 90's, or at least until 2000.

My grandmother had parents who also lived in the area. Im not sure where
his parents were from.

My grandparents on my mothers side come from woolwich and had a market
stall by the woolwich arsenal. Which brings up a nice fact, Arsenal the
football club were right by the munitions place in woolwich which is
(apparently) where they got their name from.
But my grandparents moved to Theale during the war, when the arsenal
moved families (and the arsenal) out here for safety. My grandfather
(mothers dad) died in the 50's, and up to about two years ago, there
were only two of the original oldies left in Theale, my grandmother
being one of them, but she died and now there is only one oldie left.

The stories she told were wonderfull regarding her working on her
parents stall at 14 yrs old plus, and how they used to live. If only Id
taken more notice / notes I could have had a great book to sell, and
make loadsa money to have the latest Pc technology in my place.

We all ask how they could put up with the living standards back then,
but Im sure it was a case of despite what stuff they ate, working the
hours they did, plus all the exercise they got, is probably why they
were so fit and lived so long, and it didnt matter what they ate, to a
certain degree. If you see where Im going here.