Re: [Hampshire] anyone work with a registered charity?

Author: Nick Chalk
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] anyone work with a registered charity?
Alan Bell <alan.bell@???> wrote:
> I am interested in finding out a bit more about
> CTX http://www.ctxchange.org/ and how prominent
> their work is in the charitable sector.

I used to work for The Society of St. James, and
bought MS software from CTX.

> They provide donated hardware and proprietary
> software to charities

The "donated" bit is really just spin. The charity
still has to pay for the hardware or software, but
it's at a discounted price.

When I was dealing with them, their main lines
were MS software and Cisco hardware. The price
for the former was significantly lower than even
the usual charity licences. The latter's discounts
were less generous.

> and I am having an interesting email
> conversation with them about the possibility (or
> not) of including some Free software in their
> catalogue.

That might be useful advertising, but I'm not sure
what level of take-up you'd get.

CTX provides no technical support, so the
charities using it are likely to have professional
admins, either in-house or contracted. I doubt
such people would find much advantage in being
able to buy boxed distros.

You're also competing with MS prices like UKP 4 +
VAT for a copy of XP Pro.

Nick.

--
Nick Chalk ................. once a Radio Designer
Confidence is failing to understand the problem.