Re: [Hampshire] suse 10.3 and grub not updating

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] suse 10.3 and grub not updating
2008/10/13 trotter <m.nuttall@???>:
> Hello,
>
> I have built a new PC and I am trying to get suse 10.3 installed.
>
> The install process goes fine but on reboot I find grub has not been
> changed to "suse grub" ie the green splash and its boot options.
>
> I still see the syllable os installed grub which is the basic white
> writing on blue back ground. No entries have changed on syllable
> grub.
>
> I tried the suse 10.2 and 10.3 repair options but they cant find
> a valid linux partition! It did find the linux swap partition however.
>
> I am downloading sue 11.0 dvd but its going to take a few days to
> get the 4.29Gb dvd iso.
>
> The install picks up my old suse 10.3 update install so why doesnt
> the repair boot manager?
> Is there a problem with the 10.3 installer that messes something up?
>
> Advice and suggestions please
>
> Martin N

Debian rather than Suse, but I had trouble with an upgrade involving
grub where I had the old grub installed in the MBR so it was picking
up my old menu.lst configuration instead of the new grub.cfg. I also
had trouble with the naming of drives changing which caused great
confusion. Could either of those be your problem?

HTH, Peter