Re: [Hampshire] trouble after memory upgrade

Author: Victor Churchill
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] trouble after memory upgrade
2008/10/14 Vic <lug@???>:
>>> What are the latencies of the different sticks?
>> I can get that from the Crucial site for the new ones. Don't know if I
>> can tell for the old ones. I suspet this could be the issue...?
>
> Very likely.
>
> Without seeing the kit in question, one can only guess - but my guess is
> that the memory timings are taken from the new DIMMs, and those are faster
> than the old ones.

Actually, just checked and the new mem is PC2-4200 and the old sticks
are labelled PC2-4300 which in fact both denote 533MHz (thank you
wikipaedia(1) ) - so they "should" be OK together...

I will have a go with memtesting the old ones in isolation tonight and
check that memtest agrees with me.
If the sets are confirmed to both be 533MHz perhaps I will try putting
the old ones back into the first pair of slots where they were
originally.

(1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR2_SDRAM - which also confirms
Vic's suspicion:

Faster DDR2 DIMMs are compatible with slower DDR2 DIMMs; however, the
faster module runs at the slower module's speed. Using slower DDR2
memory in a system capable of higher speeds results in the bus running
at the speed of the slowest memory in use.

And I must say that just running with 2GB instead of 1 makes a big
difference already.