Re: [Hampshire] ?on topic, ?OT? Synaptic/apt/repository pro…

Author: Lisi
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] ?on topic, ?OT? Synaptic/apt/repository problems
On Tuesday 14 October 2008 18:50:39 Steve Kemp wrote:
> On Tue Oct 14, 2008 at 18:48:15 +0100, Lisi wrote:
> > First I couldn't reload/update - on either, saying that the repositories
> > were inaccessible. So of course I couldn't load any software.
>
> Please show us what you tried, and what error you received.
>
> apt-get should be simplest, if you run:
>
>     apt-get update
>     apt-get upgrade

> What error(s) do you see?
>
> If it is something of the form "host not found" or "host not
> accessible"

Yes

> then that suggests that your system cannot connect
> to the remote sites.

Exactly - but it could, and most strangely of all it retrieved 7/8 files and
then stopped. And...

> I guess the obvious thing to do would be to open a web browser
> and see if you can visit http://packages.debian.org/ - or whatever
> mirror you're using.

I used ping and the IP. That didn't work. But the internet is otherwise
fine - or was - except that Konqueror had apparently been playing up.

But there is nothing wrong with the mirrors, they work fine on other computers
going thro' the same router here. And this actual computer was fine
yesterday.

I feel that all the problems are interlinked. But it is currently academic
because the owner wanted it back in its present state to do some urgent work.
I just hope that he gets it done before everything else gives out! I shall
then have it back to sort out. :-(

Thanks
Lisi