Re: [Hampshire] Why I like Perl

Author: Victor Churchill
To: isaacclose, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Why I like Perl
2008/10/15 Isaac Close <isaacclose@???>:

> its about half-eight and i've been coding all the night since about half-eight lastnite. not in Perl though, in javascript. its been
> event handlers and debugging largely. the more i learn of this language
> the more i see some similarity with Perl. have to say though, javascript has its place and is most marvelous for what it can do, but Perl is still a swiss army chainsaw. i wish browsers had perl interpreters in them :)

I had one miserable experience long ago with JavaScript (*) - a fixed
price 3 month contract that took six months B-(

Been a happy bunny with Perl for years since then. Love it because
it's such a fun language to work with, and it's quick, and you can
just keep on learning new stuff about it. Like that mountain in a book
by Rudy Rucker you can look back and see what a long way you have
come, and still see what a huge edifice there is ahead of you B-)
Oh, and the resource network behind Perl is second to none (IMO)

(*) - well, DreamWeaver+JavaScript actually. And the client didn't
know what he wanted. So not all JS's fault...