Re: [Hampshire] Why I like Perl

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Why I like Perl
Hi Guys,

I thought I'd add my couple of pen'orth.

I'd definitely agree that coder is more relevant than the language when
it comes to readability. It's all too easy to do something clever which
ends up not being clever at all if it's later uncomprehended.
Why are so many people so frightened of using white space? It costs
little in a script and nothing in a compiled program? Odd!

For mini-to-midi applications, particularly when GUI, I increasingly
find myself returning to a language nobody has yet mentioned .. Tcl/Tk.
It's one of those languages that gets overlooked, perhaps as non-sexy on
non-macho. But it's simple elegant and surprisingly powerful. I usually
build the GUI with vTcl and commit the lot at the end with ActiveState'e
compiler/obfuscator if I want to keep things proprietery.

FWIW, for GUI/scripting, I mostly use Tcl/Tk, then Python or Perl,
depending which language has, in my opinion(tm), the nicer fit to the
task. My web stuff is mostly perl, though.

ATB,
    Gordon.
--
Gordon Scott                  http://www.gscott.co.uk

Haiku:        Tragic Irony
        Imagined Life Without Walls
        Windows Crashed to the Floor.

        Linux ... Because I like to *get* there today.