Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Why I (Sometimes) Hate Windows

Author: Richard Danter
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Why I (Sometimes) Hate Windows
2008/10/25 Richard Danter <radanter@???>:

> Already have the latest and greatest driver (4 years old!) installed. :o(

Turns out it is b-spec only anyway. Should have realised really. Doh!

> So maybe I can make the router work in b/g mode only... 'spose that
> would do for now.

And indeed it was possible. So I guess 300Mb was overwhelming the 11Mb
card and crashing the driver. It seems to cope with 54Mb without
crashing, so at least my own and work laptops can take advantage of
the speed increase.

Of course this does raise one very interesting point. Here is a
potential denial of service attack on at least some WinXP machines...
just blast them with a fast wireless signal. Don't have to be in the
same room or, given a strong enough transmitter, same building even.
Ouch.

Rich
(feeling a little happier now)