[Hampshire] Which distro next?

Author: Paul Stimpson
Subject: [Hampshire] Which distro next?
Hi,

My distro journey isn't going too well. I was happy with Kubuntu but ever since Feisty I'd been seeing more and more things that just "weren't right". The final straw was when I couldn't get Pulseaudio to work with KDE.

I decided to give FC9 a try and that is great apart from NetworkManager/the kernel being broken (wireless can't connect to most WPA networks and now has a nasty resource leak since the latest update that keeps taking the machine down.) Mouseovers on MP3 files also cause xmms to run so short of resources that the machine drops audio.

I'm not good enough to fix these problems so I'm thinking about another distro change. Things I'd like:

* KDE (preferably 4)
* Pulseaudio
* NM and my Intel 4965 wifi working.
* Easy support for LUKS encrypted drives.

I'm going to be doing some Internet radio broadcasting (probably with IDJC) so I need it not to run out of puff on my machine (2.4 dual core 3MB cache 800 FSB, 4GB, nVidia Quadro FX 1600m graphics. Hardly a slouch)

What should I try next please. I want something with good repos, that's well supported and that doesn't need hours of surgery just to get it working.

My initial ideas are to try Kubuntu Intrepid, Debian (Etch or Lenny?), FC10 Beta (can't work much worse than FC9 on my machine), try Gentoo, Mandriva or maybe Mint. What do you think I should do?

Thanks,
Paul.