[Hampshire] Capturing snapshots from camera

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Capturing snapshots from camera
2008/11/4 Brian Chivers <brian@???>:
> I've been asked to setup a camera over looking our College's playing field to capture an image every
> 30 minutes so we can see how much it is being used.
>
> I have a camera with that has a composite video output that I'd like to use and a video input card
> (not sure if it linux compatible, if not I'll get one that is *grin*) but I'm not sure what software
> to use to do this.
>
> Not worried about motion sensing just need a jpg or something every X minutes
>
> Does anyone do this ? Any ideas or pointer where to start.

If it's not got to be millisecond accurate then a script could just
loop with the capture command and a sleep command to set the delay
between frames.

You could use streamer / camorama /xawtv / mjpegtools depending on your device.

Looking through the aptitude list also reveals uvccapture which MAY do
what you want:

The purpose of this software is to capture an image from a USB webcam at a
specified interval, and save it to a JPEG file, no other formats are supported.
.
Right now this software is really a hack, since still image support is not yet
available in the UVC driver. The program continually polls the UVC driver in
MJPEG mode, and at a specified interval writes a JPEG header and a single frame
to file, creating a JPEG

HTH, Peter