Re: [Hampshire] Decisions, decisions... KDE3, KDE4 or Gnome?

Author: Richard Danter
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Decisions, decisions... KDE3, KDE4 or Gnome?
2008/11/11 Peter Salisbury <peterthevicar@???>:
> 2008/11/11 Richard Danter <radanter@???>:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> First, please let just me say that I do not want to start yet another
>> Holy Desktop War.
>>
>> As you all probably know, Ubuntu/Kubuntu 8.10 is out. Until now I have
>> mainly been running Kubuntu because I like the KDE3 desktop and have
>> become rather attached to a couple of applications (Amarok and
>> digikam).
>>
>> I tried to update from Kubuntu 8.04 to 8.10 but that failed rather
>> dismally. Previous updates have usually gone pretty smoothly. So, took
>> the plunge and did a re-format and fresh install. First impressions of
>> KDE4 are not the best. It's kinda dark and dismal, maybe an influence
>> from Vista. It also does not seem to be very stable, I had several
>> crashes in one afternoon, don't think I had so many in the 6 months
>> since 8.04. And I could not do simple things like resize Konsole. I
>> guess KDE4 is still Beta quality at best.
> 8<
>>
>> So, what do you all think? What is the best way to go? If Gnome then
>> what apps are the best in features and stability?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Rich
>
> I looked at upgrading SWMBO's Ubuntu to 8.10 but the KDE4 page says
> that quite a few KDE apps don't yet work with KDE4 so I left it with
> the LTS version 8.04

Yeah, I noticed that too.

> Unless you have very limited resources there's no need to worry about
> pulling in both gnome and KDE libraries, so why not try gnome - you
> can still use amarok and digikam.

My laptop has a 25GB HDD so yes, I have room to install both Gnome and
KDE. I just have a deep rooted objection to installing loads of apps I
won't use just because one good app seems to have some odd dependency.
I think I will install Amarok since it's deps don't seem to be too bad
but I may persevere with F-Spot rather than Digikam which requires
everything KDE, including the kitchen sink!

> As to controlling compiz, you need to have the
> compizconfig-settings-manager installed. It's only 'suggested' by
> compiz so you may not have it.

Yes, that was it, and it now mostly works (see my prev reply to Alan).

Rich