Re: [Hampshire] OLPC In Europe - At Last

Author: Alan Bell
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OLPC In Europe - At Last
It is nothing to do with recycling! the cost of the XO laptop is about
$200 (yes, about twice what they were initially hoping for, partly
because the dollar fell in value thanks to Bush) They are selling them
on Amazon for $399 which is enough money to purchase 2 laptops. One goes
to you, one goes to an educational project in a third world country.
Apparently you may be able to offset the donated part of the price
against tax. (personally I wouldn't bother)

I bought an XO via america in the first round a year ago. It is great
but now the design is a year old, not sure I would buy the same model at
this stage because I am an early adopter and it isn't early any more.
There are drawing board designs of the X0-2
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/fullimage.php?image=10509 which looks
great, but not out until 2010.

Alan.