Re: [Hampshire] VirtualBox and Ifrared devices

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] VirtualBox and Ifrared devices

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57f53100.hantslug.org.uk.17990': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Nov 16 10:46:38 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 10:33:42AM +0000, Steve wrote:
> I'm wondering if anybody has tried using an Infrared device with
> VirtualBox? I currently use CentOS 5.2 on my laptop and have recently
> purchased a heart rate monitor/training computer to assist in my
> training (unsurprisingly!). The software used to download the training
> session information from the device is Windows only however, so I have
> installed official VirtualBox 2.0.4 RPM and created a VM into which I
> have installed WindowsXP and the relevant software. It is all working
> very nicely, and I'm very impressed with VirtualBox too!
>
> However the watch unit uses IR to communicate to the computer. I don't
> believe my laptop has a built in IR device, however I know that there
> are USB devices available at reasonable prices. I assume that I will
> need to check what is supported by the host OS first, but I'm wondering
> if it will actually be possible to pass an IR device through to the
> Windows XP guest? I know you can map USB devices, but I'm not sure how
> it will see an IR device.

Most IR devices will show up as serial devices, I believe. This
will either be a directly-attached serial port, or via a USB-to-serial
attachment.

If you buy a USB IR device with Windows drivers, and map the USB
port into the guest, then I can see no reason why you couldn't install
the Windows drivers on the guest and have it all work.

Hugo.

             --- No names... I want to remain anomalous. ---