Re: [Hampshire] Customised install on old computer - advice …

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Customised install on old computer - advice needed
Alan Pope wrote:
> 2008/11/16 Lisi <hantslug@???>:
>
>> Very user friendly, clearly labelled or lable-able, browser, email client
>> and word processor.
>>

> Puppy Linux?
>
> http://www.puppylinux.org/home/overview
>
> "Very low minimum system requirements, runs happily on old Pentiums
> with as little as 32Mb RAM. "

Puppy is fantastic, although the default install is a bit fussy - lots
of icons on the desktop and lots of scary utilities items littered
throughout the menu system that might confuse a Linux newbie. However,
it /is/ Linux so I am sure this can be tidied up!

The default mail client on Puppy 4.11 is Sylpheed, the browser is
SeaMonkey and the word processor Abiword.

There is an option for Firefox 2 in the repositories, although I favour
Opera. Open Office doesn't appear to be an option, and neither does
Thunderbird, although both are installable with a little more work than
you are used to with, say, Synaptic or aptitude.

The other things to bear in mind is that the installation is pretty
non-standard (although pretty well documented with good help), and that
you end up with a single user system running as root. Those aren't
necessarily negatives, just pointers for the unwary.

One good thing is that it installs from a Live CD that comes in under
100MB, so trying it out for performance is pretty painless. Customising
it may need a little more work than you are accustomed to, as I say.

Oh, and did I say it was a fantastic piece of work?

;-)

Sean

--
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.
Frank Zappa