Re: [Hampshire] Anyone know the Debian boot sequence?

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Anyone know the Debian boot sequence?
On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 at 02:59:59PM -0000, Vic wrote:
> I've got a Debian machine - mostly Etch, but it's been hacked at a bit.
>
> It doesn't boot. I've traced the boot sequence to the end of init in the
> initrd image, at which point it calls run-init.

Do you have any other initrd files to try and boot from? do they
all suffer the same fate?

If you boot the file system with a live disk is it good? could you
try a chroot to rebuild the initrd?

> It never gets to /sbin/init on the main filesystem (which is where it's
> heading).

That doesn't sound like fun...

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
    -- John Lennon