Re: [Hampshire] Long Life Netbook style device

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Long Life Netbook style device

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57885100.hantslug.org.uk.12387': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Nov 19 18:35:37 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 06:26:02PM +0000, John Lewis wrote:
> Battery life is the 900's biggest problem but I can live with it (I
> think). I am reluctant to apply the bios upgrade and am not even sure
> if the latest listed on the Asus site will apply earlier patches
> cumulatively

BIOS upgrades are almost always shipped as a complete replacement
to the existing BIOS, so if you just get the latest one on the site,
you'll get everything you need.

It's done this way for several reasons -- one being that they're so
small it doesn't matter about trying to save bandwidth. It's also more
difficult to patch binary code than to patch human-readable text.
Finally, the technology that stores BIOSes (EEPROMs or similar) tend
to work on an all-or-nothing basis, so you *have* to upgrade the whole
thing in one go anyway.

Hugo.

  --- The makers of Steinway pianos would like me to tell you that ---
                          this is a Bechstein.