Re: [Hampshire] Ebuyer Netbook Bargain

Author: Alastair Biggs
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ebuyer Netbook Bargain

I recently invested in a Advent 4211 has a 80gig drive 1 Gig of DDR-2 I have upgraded this to 2 gig, Intel Atom Processor. 1.6Ghz
Currently the machine is running XP, I use it basically to browse the net, Watch media, Play old school games like Fallout 2, Lucasarts classics, Broken sword, Flight of the Amazon Queen.

I like the design of the netbook it's very light a very stylish, nice machine I havent had any problems as of yet and have had it for about 3 months now.

The machine has a few nice features such as a built in webcam which is good quality and comes with similar image manipulation tools found In Mac O/S 10 i.e you can distort your face make it look fat, alienish, ( 1.3MP camera)

802.11B/G wireless ready to go I havent had a problem with the wireless connection has never dropped and it's fast.

4.1 in 1 Card reader built in.

It comes with Microsoft works which I of course uninstall and put Open Office 3.0 on.

If I had to pick a fault with it I would say that the Hard drive not being Solid State could be a problem if dropped. But I tend not to drop laptops :)

I havent tested Linux performance on the machine with the Atom, I may dual boot it with the latest Ubuntu to see how it performs or even stick Debian on it.

I think advent have released a newer version with a 120Gig Drive I paid about £280 from Currys at the time for the model I have. Would make a good christmas present for kids if anyone has any.