Re: [Hampshire] Digital Cameras

Author: Gordon Scott
To: stephen.davies, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Digital Cameras
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008, Stephen Davies wrote:

> There does seem to be some 'Duff Gen' floating around about Digital Cameras.

That's the Internet :-)
Keep the brain in gear and verify for yourself if it's important.

> I went totally Digital (as opposed to film) some 4 years ago. I'm on my
> 3rd & 4th DSLR ( A Nikon D2X & D200 ).
> I got my ARPS ( Associateship of the royal Photographic Society) with a
> panel of A3 sized prints all taken with a nikon D70 6.1MP Camera. So, I
> could be classed as a 'serious amateur'.

As I understand it, Peter (or Peter's wife) has a specific need, and
it's not 'just' for an A3 print. I understand that the need is for
detailed study on the texts and other marking on old documents, "some of
which are larger than A3" and he/she or other studiers are likely to be
looking at these documents at significan magnification. I believe his
reasoning for 10M is because that's the resolution he needs to resolve
the detail.

If the evidence/arguments I've seen for numbers of pixels in compacts is
correct, and the evidence looks fairly convincing to me, then I think a
compact is inadequate wehatever lens quality it has .. and I agree 100%
about the lens! At the end of the day, compacts have a small CCD and
will be resolution limited.

One possibility that occurs to me is that it's probably feasiblr to pick
up a cheap-ish second hand DSLR that's no longer fashionable but still
offers 10M. Maybe ebay or a 2nd hand camera shop is the place to go.

One other thought. It's _possible_ that resolution cf detail resolving
ability might be better in monochrome.

Gordon.
--
Gordon Scott                  http://www.gscott.co.uk

Haiku:        Tragic Irony
        Imagined Life Without Walls
        Windows Crash to Floor.

        Linux ... Because I like to *get* there today.