[Hampshire] Hex dump

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Hex dump
Hi all

I need to find a litttle utility to display the contents of a binary file in some meaningful manner. I've tried od and hexdump and (it maybe me and syntax) but I can't get it quite right. I realise I could just do cat fred where fred is the file but that will throw out lots of non-printable stuff that'll just crash the terminal or send garbage to my printer (well perhaps not nowadays but older users will know what I mean here!).

Say if I have a file which says "foo bar" then what I want is

0000    b1 b2 b3 b4 b5 b6 b7 foo bar.

i.e. displaying a . for every non-printable character. I can make hexdump and od do the byte listings but I can't see how to get them to output the ASCII itself - they'll output the hex or octal no problem. Can someone either correct my syntax or show me a decent little utility to do the same job?

If anyone's interested, I'm looking at some old BBC Micro ADFS files and much of the non-BASIC stuff has things like passwords hard-coded - so the only way in is to use this approach - or trial and error.

Cheers
Rob