Re: [Hampshire] Serial to USB dongle

Author: Stephen Pelc
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Serial to USB dongle
Quoth Vic:

> My experience of USB to serial on Linux has been really
> boring. You plug the thing in, and you get a serial port.
> Not like Windows users, with all that messing around with
> driver installation, the lucky gits...

For most of them, the INF file is all you need. The INF file
actually has some advantages, one of which is that you usually
get the same COM port number every time you plug the device in.

Under Linux, you have to grub around each box to find out
whether it is called
/dev/ttyUSBx
/dev/ttyACMx

And under Mac OS X you get two devices for each physical device
/dev/tty.usbmodem12345
/dev/cu.usbmodem12345

After finishing the firmware for a USB composite device (memory
stick and serial emulation), I'm entitled to be *really* grumpy
about USB and operating systems. Surprisingly, the one that
appears to break the most rules is Mac OS X. But ... Mac OS X is
soooo beautiful!

Stephen
--
Stephen Pelc, stephen@???
tel: +44 (0)23 8063 1441, fax: +44 (0)23 8033 9691