Re: [Hampshire] Serial to USB dongle

Author: Bob Dunlop
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Serial to USB dongle
Hi,

On Thu, Nov 27 at 10:11, Chris Aitken wrote:
> What are you trying to do with all these serial ports?

Well a seismometer/digitiser will typically have 2-3 serial ports,
one or more of these instruments will then couple into an embedded
aquisition module (basically a linux based data logger with 5-11
serial ports) for buffering, processing and onward transmition over
ethernet or multiple serial paths).

So a 21 element seismic array could have 168 separate serial links
(although I may have missed a few). It also contains 23 linux
systems, 44 additional ARM processors running custom firmware, and
a windows Vista box (the customer insisted).

Then someone says "build a rig so we can test a large chunk of that
under heavy load" :-)

> We use ethernet to serial gateways to communicate with different RS232
> driven units in our equipment. The normal serial commands we use are
> sent to a single IP address, with the address port number relating to
> the particular RS232 port.

I used to be director/shareholder of a company that made amongst
other things ethernet based terminal servers so I know all about that.
Serial scores over ethernet in several ways in the field, power
consumption, physical range and legacy device support being the first
three I can think of.

--
        Bob Dunlop