Re: [Hampshire] Digital Cameras

Author: Peter Alefounder
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Digital Cameras

Stephen Davies <stephen.davies@???>said:
> Regarding using PTP etc to transfer files from th Camera over USB.
>
> In a few words, Don't do it.

USB card readers are quite cheap, and I will get one with the camera.

Comments on Li-ion batteries noted. There are cameras that will
take >300 pictures on a single charge, which will be sufficient,
so maybe I won't need a spare battery if I get one of those. Not
sure how long they power the LCD screen, though.

> As I said in a previous email, if you would like to try out a DSLR at
> the next meeting then I'd be willing to bring along my 'kit'.

Thanks, but not needed. I have decided to get something smaller
and cheaper. I saw a Canon IXUS 970 IS in one shop. I could get
an A3 catalogue in view from about 2ft away; a record office desk
will be lower than a typical shop counter, so I should have no
problem with field of view. I made sure the catalogue wasn't lying
flat: depth of focus was adequate. I am seriously considering a
Canon IXUS 870 IS. I have seen one, field of view appears to be
the same as the 970 (28mm lens), but lack of a memory card meant I
could not examine an actual picture. It has a proper thread for a
tripod, although I don't intend to get one of those to start with.
Macro mode goes down to 2cm. Exposure can be as long as 15s, but
I'm not sure how that operates, reviews say there's no manual
control. Something to investigate if I see one in a decent shop.
Another camera I want to see is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX35 or
FX37.

Talking of photographs (and drifting even further off-topic for
this group) there's some very strange ones at:

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/howaboutthat/3519419/Foodscapes-amazing-food-art-by-Carl-Warner.html

Peter Alefounder.