Re: [Hampshire] Linux virtual machine inside Windows

Top Page
Author: The Holy ettlz
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux virtual machine inside Windows

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56f71100.hantslug.org.uk.21277': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Dec 4 18:13:14 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 2FF22CF403F94B5D
On Thu, 2008-12-04 at 17:54 +0000, trotter wrote:
> I was wondering if a keylogger infection inside windows could read keystrokes
> in a Linux virtual OS.

Yes.

> I was thinking of setting up a virtual Linux OS inside
> windows so when i want to purchase online or do some banking I wouldn't
> have to reboot into Linux.

You have to make sure the software path from the interrupt dispatcher
right the way up to the browser is secure. You can do this only with
Linux on bare metal, or Linux on an open, secure hypervisor.

> Any thoughts if malware can affect a virtual machine and so make it unsafe
> to do so?

Depends if it can tinker around in the VM's address space. Basically, if
anything manages to get its code going in Ring 0 it's goodnight Vienna.

James.

--
The Holy ettlz                              TheHolyettlz@???
PGP key ID: 03F94B5D