Re: [Hampshire] Floppy drives

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Floppy drives

----- Original Message -----
From: "trotter" <m.nuttall@???>
To: "Hampshire LUG Discussion List" <hampshire@???>
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 6:10 PM

> At 23:01 03/12/2008, you wrote:
>>2008/12/3 Bob Jelf <bob.jelf@???>:
>> > on Wed 03 December 2008 21:28 Rob wrote
>> >
>> > Part of the problem is the only cable I have that has connectors for
>> > both
>> > has no ridge in the centre so I don't know whether I'm alligning it
>> > correctly.
>> >
>> > You will find that the No. 1 pin (the red connector) should be on the
>> > same
>> > side as the motor on both the 5.25 and 3.5 floppy drives.
>>

>>... and that is the side of the long connector that is nearest to
>>where the 4-pin power connector goes.
>

> I would check your motherboard manual to see if it supports 2 floppy
> drives.
> I spent a while trying to get two 3.5 drives working in the same machine
> not
> realising that the motherboard doesn't support it.
>
> Martin N
>

> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???
> 04/12/2008 14:59

Thanks to all for your various bits of wisdom. Delighted to report I now
have both 5.25 and 3.5 drives working fine. Slightly curious arrangement
in that the a: and b: (sorry it's an XP box) are the wrong way around but
this was determined by the connectors on the cable of all things. All's
well that ends well.

Cheers
Rob