[Hampshire] Virtualbox woes

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Virtualbox woes
Hi all

Any virtualbox experts out there?

Last night, I had 2 VMs running - both doing installs. When I looked at it this morning, the machine had crashed - no amount of kbd / mouse activity worked and I couldn't even ssh into it. Result - I was forced to hit the reset button.

Hardy came up again with no trouble but virtualbox is now complaining that I should install virtualbox-ose-modules-generic-xx where xx is my kernel. This I've tried to do but it's complaining about not being able to overwrite vboxdrv.ko in the /lib/modules/xx/misc directory and therefore can't install. I've checked and that directory's empty! I'm a bit stumped - I've tried reinstalling virtualbox both from the repositories and from the website but no joy.

Googling suggests this occurs when a kernel update is performed - which I've not done but it may have happened alongside the usual software update process - I didn't look down the list as I checked it yesterday. However vbox was working post update - it seems to be the crash while running two vms that killed it.

Cheers
Rob