[Hampshire] Asus EEE screen resolution

Author: Paul Tansom
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Asus EEE screen resolution
As is the way with family get togethers, Christmas or otherwise, it is
often an opportunity to fire a computer question at me, I'm sure others
experience this phenomenon! As I don't have an Asus EEE myself, I've not
been able to play around with this or work out what configuring you can
do with the restricted GUI (or what you can hack underneath!). In the
hope I can keep a version of Linux on this machine, rather than hear it
has been reinstalled with Windows I thought I'd ask here in case an Asus
EEE owner may know the answer.

The basic situation is that the machine (I believe a 701) is being used
to run Powerpoint presentations via a projector. This is working fine
bar one thing. The resolution didn't look too good on the projector.
Changing the resolution to run the projector at a nicer resolution
worked fine (I don't have the specific changes to hand, but it was all
done through the GUI options). Unfortunately what is shown on the Asus
screen is not a scaled down version of the screen, but a small corner of
it (top right it seems). This means that it is difficult to control the
presentation given that you can't see the controls properly on the
netbook screen.

Does anyone know how to configure it to scale the screen on the netbook
to show the whole thing rather than just a less than useful corner of
the larger screen show via the external vga the projector is connected
to?

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: