Re: [Hampshire] Anyone else having serious issues with Fedor…

Author: Paul Stimpson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Anyone else having serious issues with Fedora 10?
Hi,

John Cooper wrote:

> Did you actually upgrade from Fedora 8 or do a new install? If you
> upgraded I would start again with an initial (new) install and see if
> that solves the problem. I have not had any kernel problems.
>
> John.

I always install from fresh on my other hard drive (I flip-flop between
2 drives every time I upgrade)

I just went into K > Computer > System Settings > Advanced and found an
entry I didn't recognise for something called Nepomuk. I had a look to
see what it was and found "Nepomuk Symantic Dsktop enables tagging and
rating of files integrated with Strigi Desktop Search". I don't use
Strigi as I know where all my stuff is and if I want to delete something
I don't like having symantic search indexes around. Strigi wasn't
enabled but Nepomuk was. From the description I would have thought it
would do nothing without Strigi running. I decided to disable it anyway.
It seems it was gobbling some resource somewhere as hovering the mouse
over files no longer causes pulseaudio to glitch (though the xmms UI
still stops updating)

Cheers,
Paul.