Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN] Late breaking Meeting news

Author: Dr Adam Trickett
To: Hugo Mills, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN] Late breaking Meeting news
On Monday 05 Jan 2009, you wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 08:18:28PM +0000, Dr Adam Trickett wrote:
> > >
> > > There are, I went through this process last November, it's not so easy
> > > to find somewhere as easy accessible and the costs are high to cover
> > > security if we use rooms other than those we usually do. There really
> > > are no other convenient rooms at zero cost to Hants Lug.
> >
> > That sounds utterly bizarre but seeing as you did the work I'm more than
> > willing to believe it. We would be in serious trouble if we didn't have
> > you and regular access to that room!
>
>    The difference is that those rooms are both easy to access
> (i.e. they're accessible from a lobby, and the rest of the building is
> locked away from that lobby), and controlled by ECS. Thus, a member of
> ECS can book the rooms for their own internal use. It also means that
> the ECS facilities manager can OK the use of the rooms with only a
> member of staff present to handle the event security.

>    If you go elsewhere and don't have a member of staff for that
> department *and* the relevant departmental facilities manager on
> board, then you end up dealing with the University's room-bookings and
> conferences people. This costs you a fair chunk of money for the hire
> of the room, plus the costs of having security "look after" you
> (i.e. unlock and lock the room).

>    Oh, and if you're not in ECS, you'll have a nearly impossible job
> persuading the University's Systems people to let you plug all of
> those random machines into their beloved network. As it is, the
> systems people in ECS are quite capable of re-plumbing their network
> to provide a DMZ port in seminar room 1 -- which is what happened many
> moons ago.

I'm willing to believe it's a right mess to organise. I did consider my
employer, we have the bandwith and the space, but it's all key-card entry
which makes it a logistical nightmare. No large room near an external door!

PS. Why does your GPG signature show up as invalid?

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

The problem with cruel and unusual punishment is that you have to keep
being creative.  For example, some may call it cruel and unusual to turn
a spammer into spam, but by the time you feed the hundredth into the
woodchipper it's become quite usual.
    -- Anthony de Boer in the Monastery