Re: [Hampshire] SPAM issues

Author: Gordon Scott
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] SPAM issues
On Sun, 4 Jan 2009, Vic wrote:

> > I would
> > not be willing to impair the functionality of my mailserver for my users
> > just to
> > save some innocent people from sharing a little of the burden of spam.
>
> Then I doubt you see very much traffic. True bounces are comparatively
> rare. Some of the mail servers I look after get backscatter attacks
> amounting to thousands of emails per hour. If I bounced any of that
> traffic (I don't), those machines wouldn't stay connected to the internet
> for very long.

Thanks for saying that.

When I finally gave up after many years of "doing the right thing", my
little 166MHz mail server of the time was trying to process 6000 spams
and bounces a day .. with a perl script (Ooops). Load average was well
into 300, it took me a couple of hours to log in and about the same to
shut things down cleanly. Hm, these days I'd probably cut the power :-(

G.
--
Gordon Scott                  http://www.gscott.co.uk

Haiku:        Tragic Irony
        Imagined Life Without Walls
        Windows Crash to Floor.

        Linux ... Because I like to *get* there today.