Re: [Hampshire] Colour printing on Ubuntu 8.04

Author: Jim Kissel
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Colour printing on Ubuntu 8.04

Simon Reap wrote:
> Jim Kissel wrote:
>> It's a bit behind the times, but colour printing via my Xerox 8550
>> Phaser was never a problem until I "upgraded" to 8.04. Now the colours
>> are "muddy" Printing the Ubuntu logo gives:
>> reds that are dark brown
>> oranges that are brownish ornage
>> yellows that are a dull goldish colour
>>
> Your colour cartridge is not working properly? The time of the failure
> may have been a coincidence. What does a live CD or the printer
> self-test (if it has one) look like?

The 8550 uses wax blocks CYMK, and I judge from the self-test that the
latest blocks are not of the same quality as the original, or that they
have degraded with time (18 months). The internal RGB printout tables
just doesn't produce red 255,0,0 correctly. It an orange/brown. Even
running the cleaning cycle hasn't improved the output.

Apologies to the list. Not a s/w problem.

--
Life is too short.