Re: [Hampshire] Apache performance tuning.

Author: Steve Kemp
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Apache performance tuning.
On Wed Jan 07, 2009 at 21:44:00 +0000, David Ramsden wrote:

> Unfortunately the forum software doesn't have the ability to specify a
> "dedicated image host" (out of the box). It'll use the main website URL
> for images.

Then I guess ignore that suggestion then.

> But could mod_rewrite help here? Rewrite the URL to be img.domain.com,
> for any images at a certain location (i.e. /forums/customavatars/)?
> Would using mod_rewrite negate the benefits of using pound+ngnix to
> serve the image content?

It could, but I think that any gain would be spoiled by the connect,
redirect, re-request cycle.

Since I learned from your later message that you're using Plesk
I think that most of the suggestions are either going to be impractical
or cause you future pain. You have my sympathies.

(Plesk takes over a system to the extent that making manual changes
is difficult, time-consuming, and prone to extreme breakage when it
comes to future upgrades.)

Steve
--
Debian GNU/Linux System Administration