Re: [Hampshire] [Chat] Another brick in the wall

Author: Damian Brasher
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [Chat] Another brick in the wall
Apols, corrections...

Victor !Vi wrote:

> Whether the rush to surveillance is part of some evil Government plot,

or simply a bunch of people with no idea how to solve an essentially
unsolvable problem (but lacking the courage to say so) is unclear.

The vast amount of information collected will be fairly meaningless and
take a huge amount of resources to extract any useful truths, fair enough.
The really bad guys will know how to hide in the crowd of data. Joe public
only need worry if the data collected about then is incorrectly
interpreted or falls into the malicious hands, possible, but then the
malicious hands will need a huge amount of resources to extract any useful
truths too.

<general rant>

The real concern to me is the burden the government is putting upon itself
now without really thinking the problem through. Hasty actions now will
place a massive technical and legal burden on our government and Brussels
in twenty years time. I wouldn't want to inherit several Pebibytes or even
an Xbibyte or two of 20 years of UK email logs that have cost a few
billion Euros to collect and store on acceptance to my shiny new
Government office, would you?

</general rant>

Damian

--