Re: [Hampshire] [Chat] Another brick in the wall

Author: Phillip Chandler
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [Chat] Another brick in the wall
On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 21:05 +0000, Hugo Mills wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 09:02:36PM +0000, Jacqui Caren wrote:
> > Isaac Close wrote:
> > > These days i use many different systems and they all have ups and downs,
> > > sometimes windows is the best tool for the job, depending on the environment.
> >

> > Heresy! :-)
>
>    More likely to be hearsay.

Just an observation of mine.

Im running a dual boot Laptop, Windows 2000 and Ubuntu 8.04.1. I also
have a "Paid for" version of Crossover from Codeweavers. Plus a PC
running Win XP & Debian.

Ive got Dreamweaver MX installed, plus MS IE6, Word, Excel & Outlook. I
totally uninstalled Openoffice which amounted to about 317MB's.

After installing all the MS based software, I still used less space than
that required for Openoffice.

Ive found that the MS based software runs faster (yes faster) than the
Openoffice version. I can open a word doc in (wait for it) MS word
running under Crossover, noticeably faster than I was able to under
Openoffice Writer. Not by just a second here, but at least 4 seconds.

Ive also found that "Once bitten, twice shy." is true. Ive had PC's
which Ive got infected, installed all the software and slowed my
machines down, etc. Learned the hard way that having Win 98, and
installing a theme pack to make it look like XP, will in fact infect you
system.

I now run Win 2K with Java & Flash switched off by default. Dont allow
cookies by default. Plus a few other savvy wise things, scan incoming
emails with attachements etc. Yes this is a burden, but following these
simple rules Ive been aggro free under windows for quite a while now.
The same rules apply for the PC running XP & Debian, switch off what you
dont need, only install what you need, switch off all the jave and flash
rubbish, and you can have a machine that doesnt get bloated and stays
quite fast.

I installed firefox for Windows XP with the pref bar added, but for some
web sites I need IE, otherwise Id use Firefox full time.

Im one of those who thinks praise where praise is due. And I may be out
of my depth here, but Im going to play the old "What do you expect when
Windows has 90% market share" routine. Would I be talking rubbish if I
was to say that the nature of hackers (419 scams etc) have found all the
hacks of Windows with intent of scamming people. Windows is therefore
its own worst enemy. And I unfortunately believe that MS is only partly
to blame for the insecurity of its OS. No OS is 100% secure, so
understanding how the hackers / scammers work, then Im sort of seeing
why they found ways of hacking windows. Just look at any technology, not
just Computers but anything. 6 months(ish) after its been brought out,
thieves find a way of getting round the new security.

Am I sounding like a troll here ?
A) - Yes.
B) - Yes.
C) - Errr Yes.
D) - Yes, and you didnt even make it sound convincing.
or
E) - Wow that was sooo good, you convinced me. Im gonna go out and buy
Vista.

Phillip