[Hampshire] [OT] name hegemony, was Re: [OT] BaB Soton Uni…

Author: Chris Dennis
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] [OT] name hegemony, was Re: [OT] BaB Soton Uni register MySQL script

> Please read
>
> http://blog.mauveweb.co.uk/2008/01/25/tip-tables-containing-people/

Hear hear.

Going further off-topic, I recall a situation a few years ago in New
Zealand (which generally share's the UK's assumptions about naming
conventions). Javanese people generally/often have a three-part name,
such as Haji Moehammad Soeharto. All sorts of abbreviations and
soubriquets are possible, but none of the parts is a 'family surname' in
the UK sense. Javanese friends of mine had a baby while living in NZ
and wanted to name the child according to their custom with three names
none of which were shared by either parent. The NZ authorities in their
wisdom insisted that the child should take their 'last' name from one or
other parent, and that's what they had to do.

Enough rant -- I'm in that sort of mood having wrestled with my online
tax return all afternoon.

cheers

Chris
--