Re: [Hampshire] Using external kvm with laptop

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Using external kvm with laptop

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan Pope" <alan@???>
To: "Hampshire LUG Discussion List" <hampshire@???>
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2009 1:08 PM

> 2009/1/16 Rob Malpass <lug@???>:
>> The new laptop (which fwiw has safeboot but I don't think that's the
>> problem) doesn't work in the same way. Essentially, I have to go
>> through
>> safeboot and our Window$ network login on the laptop screen, kbd and
>> mouse
>> before I get anything out of the other monitor. The monitor simply sits
>> in
>> standby mode. Now here's the wrinkle... If I connect it to another 14"
>> monitor - it behaves perfectly - I can see everything from the initial HP
>> logo through safeboot, network login and into the desktop.
>>

> Does the laptop have a soft key (Fn+F5 for example) to activate the
> external monitor? Can you press that before logging in to switch it
> on?
>
> Cheers,
> Al.

It does - Fn+F4 and I've tried that at various stages but no joy. As I
say - the most irritating thing is that it works perfectly on a 14" - but
not on a 32" and it's the much bigger size that's the key issue for me. I
just can't get the 32" monitor out of standby mode until it's hit windows
desktop - but the 14" is "with me all the way"

Cheers
Rob